HAARP; High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program.
It seems Arco owned a bunch of natural gas rights in Alaska, where no one needed the gas. They lobbied to get this weird thing built; a giant phased array antenna, fed by it’s own power plant. The original idea seemed to be to modulate the electrojet (the stream of electrons and negative ions fed into the Earth by the solar wind, which is the source of the aurora) Seems it may have had other uses as well. Apparently a prime use is to heat a local patch of atmosphere, wherever the thing is aimed (by phase adjusting the array) and might be used as a weapon or just to make pretty lights and oddball radar reflections.

I think the HAARP could be used to duplicate some of the UFO phenomena; A blob of light that moves as if without mass (because it is just a spot where the air is glowing and heated) and can make sudden impossible seeming turns and accelerations. The temperature inversions around the heated area could reflect radar. Certain classic UFO cases may have been tests of using this effect as a psychological warfare device (one in Spain and another in Florida). I don't know, but I imagine the possibility of projecting a gigantic image into the clouds, of Jesus returning with angels and trumpets, or some such hoo haw. Of course this sort of imaging would be far more difficult to program into the phased array antenna than a mere blob of light. It might be possible to use the arrays in Puerto Rico, Hawaii and Australia in unison.

One of Jacques Vallee's more recent books points to evidence of this sort of fake UFO, and in Spain, a psychological operation. I believe the book was called "Revelations", the third book in a trilogy ("Dimensions", and "Confrontations" being the other two in the trilogy).

Alan.