> Doug Pensinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have mixed feelings about John Paul II's tenure.
> He certainly was a
> major factor in the liberation of Eastern Europe, I
> agree with the
> church's stance on the death penalty and I applauded
> him for opposing the
> current debacle in Iraq.  On the other hand I found
> his medieval (just an
> expression Damon 8^)  ) approach to women’s issues
> and especially birth control to be repugnant.
<snip>

Agree WRT Solidarity (forgot how the Poles spell it)
and women's issues; I was, however, pleased that he
chose _not_ to return to the hospital when it was
clear that his multiple illnesses were terminal.
Prolonging death is not equivalent to extending life,
and while a bit of suffering can be instructive,
futile pain is pointless.

Debbi
Gravity And Distance Maru