--- Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Oh, I just found an interesting long article on it
>
> http://www.cis.org.au/policy/Spring01/polspr01-1.pdf
>
> IMHO, Martin, the evidence given in this report
> looks pretty good.  But, of
> course, if you see problems with this report, I'm
> open to seeing other
> evidence.  Someone I consider a daughter's life is
> involved in this, so you
> can appreciate how much I want to get this right.
>
> Dan M.

And, of course, I have _lots_ of family whose life is
at risk from this decision, so it's kind of important
to me as well.  It's not an issue that I've looked at
superficially - the evidence on the issue, so far as I
can tell, is quite overwhelming.  In fact, the best
use of DDT for malaria prevention is as a paste on the
walls of homes (where it can have no environmental
effects) - and the environmental movement has lobbied
very heavily against that, and convinced western
governments not to fund even that use of DDT, as well
as the use of DDT-implanted anti-mosquito netting (DDT
has a secondary effect as an irritant which mosquitos
don't seem to evolve a resistance to, which makes it
very effective when used in doors).

Finally, no one in favor of DDT usage has an agenda on
this issue, so far as I can tell.  No one makes any
money off DDT - it's an old chemical, and industry has
generally been in favor of replacing it with other,
more profitable, chemicals.  You're generally in favor
of using DDT if you think using it is a good idea.
But since some people would rather attack people who
disagree with them than look at the evidence (after
all, no one important is dying, right?) it's pretty
clear how this one comes out.  Of course, if those
people had ever seen what a case of malaria looks
like, they might have a slightly different view.

Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"
http://www.mukunda.blogspot.com