Gautam Mukunda wrote:
--- [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Here's a listmate, making a perfectly reasonable
request for
suggestions, and she gets an insult instead.

Dave

No, it was an assessment of _someone else_.  I wasn't
insulting her.  I do think his version of "God's
Politics" might as well be titled "My Politics", which
is egregious.  The fact that he's justifying bad ideas
using the Bible doesn't make them less bad - although
it does say something is very wrong with the
Democratic Party that they're swallowing this guy's
stuff whole.  It's also not an insult when I ask you
why you saw fit to both misinterpret what I was saying
and intrude for no good reason, either.

1) I don't think it's out of line to assess someone not on the list in a negative manner. I think "insult" might have been a little strong. It looked to me like Gautam was giving his opinion. If I gave my opinion of Ted Kennedy here, it would be less flattering. Public figures are fair game, especially if it's just "here's my impression of this person".

2) I'm wondering how much Gautam knows about Jim Wallis' ideas to call them "bad". I think a debate on the merits and demerits of Wallis's ideas would be interesting and would edify me without my having to darken the doors of Barnes & Noble, or add to the giant sucking sound coming from amazon.com, aimed at my bank account. :) (They don't have any of his stuff at the Half Price Books in Round Rock today.) Nick and Dave have been going on as if Jim Wallis was the closest thing they've seen to the Messiah so far this year (OK, maybe that's an exaggeration), and I've heard negative opinions of him from others. I'd love to see a reasoned, civil discussion on the question. Will I get my wish?

        Julia