--- Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 22:40:04 -0700 (PDT), Gautam
> Mukunda wrote
>
> > ... virtually no one
> > thought that inspections were working _before_ the
> > war.
>
> No one?  No one?  What is your definition of
> "working" here?  Certainly no one
> saw Saddam stepping down immediately and no one
> thought he was particularly
> cooperative, but are those the only measures that
> inspections are working?

Yes.  Almost no one I am aware of in a professional
capacity thought that the Iraqis had been disarmed.
There was not _one_ intelligence service in the world
that thought the Iraqis had been successfully disarmed
by the inspections.  German intelligence thought they
were farther along in weapons development than we did,
and the Germans _opposed_ the war.

> Different in a way that matters?  India was being
> run by a group of elites who
> mistreated and took advantage of the majority of
> people.  Those people were
> British, rather than locals, but how does that make
> the situation
> significantly different from Iraq?  Why couldn't the
> same justifications for
> the Iraq war have applied to India?

Yes, extremely different in a way that matters.  The
British had an option in India.  They could _give up
and go home_.  They were, in the end, okay with that.
Exactly how was Saddam Hussein supposed to do that?

> > South Africa reformed under
> > F.W. De Klerk.
>
> Are you saying that it was led by De Klerk?  Seems
> to me that without Nelson
> Mandela and Desmond Tutu, De Klerk wouldn't have
> budged.  Are you saying that
> this was an example of an oppressive leadership
> leading itself out of power?

No, I'm saying it's an example of an oppressive
leadership that was willing to give up power.  De
Klerk was.  If P.W. Botha had stayed in power, Mandela
would have stayed in jail.  The white South African
government had the military capacity to remain in
power.  What it lacked was the ruthlessness to do so.
Saddam Hussein does not lack for ruthlessness.

> > Neither of these regimes had much in
> > common with Saddam Hussein's.
>
> What are you saying?  That the British in India were
> much nicer than Saddam,
> and apartheid was nicer than Saddam, thus war was
> the only answer in Iraq
> because he was a nastier guy?  Are you open to the
> idea that these changes
> came about without war because of the nature of the
> leaders of the peaceful
> revolutions?  If the Brits were nastier, do you
> think Gandhi would have
> failed?  They got pretty nasty, didn't they?  Same
> for the white minority in
> South Africa.

Yes, because I know something about the revolutions in
India and South Africa.  If you think Gandhi's tactics
would have worked against, say, the Japanese, Germans,
French, or Belgians, you're just deluding yourself.
There's no way in hell.  Gandhi could have laid down
in front of all the railroad tracks he wanted, and the
Germans would have just kept them right on running.
If the Brits were nastier, _Gandhi_ would have failed,
yes.  Nehru might have led a violent revolution that
would eventually have succeeded, at horrifying cost.
But the British were facing thousands of Indians for
every one of their people from thousands of miles
away.  Saddam Hussein was at home, with a massive army
and secret police apparatus and non-trivial support
from large segments of the population.  Hitler wasn't
overthrown by peaceful methods, and Hussein's control
over Iraqi society probably exceeded Hitler's over
German society.

> It seems that you look at the oppressors and say
> they're too powerful to take
> down without war, while I'm looking at the
> liberators and saying they're too
> powerful to be resisted.  No empire has ever
> survived and they're usually
> brought down by their own arrogance, despite
> superior military strength.

No, I'm saying that I'm looking at history, while
you're just making statements unsupported by fact.
Your last sentence is either true but trivial (if
you're talking about timespans of centuries) or simply
wrong.  No empire has ever survived?  Well, nothing
lasts _forever_.  But the British empire lasted for
two centuries, the Roman empire for considerably
longer.  The Ottoman Empire for centuries.  The
Spanish ruled Latin America and most of South America
from the 1500s into the 1800s.  The Chinese empire and
the current Chinese state are roughly coterminous, as
are the Czarist empire and the modern Russian state.
Empires last a _long_ time.  I don't really expect to
be alive two centuries from now, so waiting that long
for Ba'athist Iraq to fall doesn't seem like a
cost-free option.

> Are you saying that you hear me using make-believe
> arguments?

Yes, absolutely.

> > Like in Korea?  What is the historical parallel
> for
> > such a police action?  Can you provide _one_
> example
> > of such a thing ever occurring?
>
> Congo, Cyprus, Lebanon, Haiti, Yougoslavia,
> Cambodia, Mozambique, and even
> Somalia... with varying degrees of success, of
> course.

Cambodia - you mean where Pol Pot killed a third of
the population?  The Congo, where one of the worst
civil wars in history has been fought over the last
few decades?  Cyprus, which is still bitterly divided?
 Yugoslavia, where massive ethnic cleansing resulted
in hundreds of thousands of civilians displaced, tens
of thousands killed, and _two_ wars fought by the
United States?  Somalia, which was rescued from
starvation by American power only to descend into
anarchy when we left?  These are your examples of
_good_ policies?  For God's sake, what's a failed
policy?  In fact, in your list, the only two cases of
"regime change" in which outside forces played a major
role are Serbia (two wars by the United States) and
Cambodia (an invasion by Vietnam).  So _your own
examples_ suggest that war is the only way to do it.

> > Neither of which are even vaguely similar
> situations.
> > He's not arguing from his conclusion, he's arguing
> > from reality.
>
> Are you saying that I'm arguing from fantasy?  I
> prefer to call it hope and
> faith.
>
> Nick

Hope is not a method, as I beieve I've said before.
All of your arguments amount to "This situation which
has nothing at all in common in Iraq was resolved
without war, therefore we could have toppled Saddam
Hussein without war."  But, in fact, the rather decent
British (and I have a very good idea of just how nasty
the British were - far better, I would guess, than you
could, unless you grew up with your parents telling
you stories about Amritsar) were able to hold on to
power in India from ~1800 to 1947.  Almost one and a
half centuries, despite their unwillingness (and
inability, given the disparity in people available
between Britain and India) to use all of the ruthless
capacity of state power.  Saddam Hussein did not have
a problem with mass murder.  Empires take a long, long
time to fall on their own, and even then, it's usually
because an outside power strikes the final blow.
Peaceful regime change is a rare bird, and the product
of enlightened leadership amongst _both_ the
government and the opposition.  Enlightened is not the
first word that springs to mind when I think of Saddam
and Uday.

Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"