--- Dave Land <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Apr 7, 2005, at 3:01 PM, Gautam Mukunda wrote:
> Substantial long-term support for the internal
> opposition
> to Hussein would have been a third say: neither
> "going to
> war" nor "leaving him in power." At the very least,
> we
> would have avoided being seen and opposed as
> occupiers,
> and at the best, we might have been credited with
> having
> "uplifted" the Iraqis.
>
> Dave

What internal opposition?  I don't know what the
figure for Iraq was, but I can tell you that in East
Germany (a far less violent state, in day-to-day
affairs, than Saddam's Iraq) _one-third of the
population_ was informing for the Stasi.  Every person
of any significance in Saddam's Iraq was regularly
approached by secret police operatives trying to get
them to agree to oppose the regime.  Saddam Hussein
ran a totalitarian regime modeled on Stalin's Russia.
If you posed any threat to the regime, you were
monitored, imprisoned, or (most often) just killed.
We saw in 1991 what happened to people who tried to
revolt against Saddam.  What do you think are the odds
that anyone in Iraq was going to try that again?

Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"
http://www.mukunda.blogspot.com