----- Original Message -----
From: "Warren Ockrassa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 10:45 PM
Subject: Re: The Other Christianity (was Re: Babble theory, and
comments)

> On Apr 8, 2005, at 6:19 PM, Robert Seeberger wrote:
>
>> Warren Ockrassa wrote:
>
>>> Sigh. Reproduction via union of sperm and egg is sex. It's not
>>> meaningful to speak of an asexual pregnancy, and it's impossible
>>> for
>>> artificial insemination techniques to have existed 2K years ago.
>>
>> Sure, this is readily apparent to *us*, but back then any pregnancy
>> in
>> concert with an intact hymen would be considered miraculous.
>
> How much knowledge of a hymen was there ca. 2K years ago, though? I
> mean, did anyone in Galilee even know they existed?

Uh......I would think that knowledge was universal.
People back then knew how to tell if a woman was a virgin and would
test the question if there was any question before a marriage.

>>> I think it's a real stretch, BTW, to say that a woman who's
>>> experienced penetrative anal intercourse is a virgin.
>>
>> But what would those ancient people think? Would they necessarily
>> know
>> if such a thing occured?
>
> What difference would that make?

Ahhhh........As any stage magician knows, people can be fooled into
thinking that unusual things have occured when the truth is rather
prosaic.

>Ostensibly if the author in Isaiah had said "virgin", he would have
>meant virgin -- or else scripture can't validly be applied to modern
>life, since other terms would surely have drifted as much.
>
> Besides that, of course, the word "virgin" wasn't used. There's a
> big difference between a young woman and a virgin.

True, but that is a separate question.

I think were are discussing multiple things in these threads.

1 Oral tradition and political influences have changed the original
story and wording of scripture.

2 People can see the miraculous in mundane events when suggested to do
so.

There might be more in there that I'm not recalling offhand.

xponent
Reality Lies Maru
rob