At 08:41 PM 4/14/2005 -0400, you wrote:
>Regarding opportunity costs, JDG said
>
>    ... Economic Theory suggests that that is not proper foundation
>    for cost-benefit-analysis.  According to generally accepted
>    economics, a government project should simply be considered based
>    on whether or not its benefits exceed its costs. ...
>
>which I find strange.  When I studied economics, opportunity costs
>were seen as one way of figuring out the value of benefits.

Think about it this way.

A given project is calculated to cost $5 and provide $10 of benefits.
Why wouldn't you engage in such a project?

>For example, when many recruits turned out to have poor health because
>they did not eat well -- as the US army discovered in World War II --
>it became evident that as a military measure, the country should
>provide funds and suggestions for school lunch programs.

This is not an opportunity cost.    An opportunity cost is the value of the
next-most-valuable expenditure for a limited resource.    For example, the
opportunity cost of me going to a dinner last night with a friend is the
value of the enjoyment I would have received from going to a Nationals
game.   Your example is actually a reverse-measure of the benefits of a
school lunch program.

JDG