On Fri, 15 Apr 2005 20:35:40 -0500, Dan Minette wrote
> > > Finally, I would argue that the only justification for killing and
> > > war is weakness.  If we were strong enough to stop evil actions
> > > without such extreme measures, then we would be morally compelled to
> > > do so.
> >
> > I cannot agree with the premise that underlies this -- that evil is "out
> > there" and we "in here," if powerful enough, can eliminate it.
>
> That really isn't the premise.  The premise is this: we as a
> community need to address evil actions.  I don't see community
> action with regard to evil within the heart  because the community I
> cannot see into people's hearts.

You may say so, but the president's language -- referring to his presidency as
part of a divine mission, "destroy the evil-doers," "wonder-working power,"
"rid the world of evil,"  "you're with us or you're with the terrorists,"
"America is the hope of all mankind... the light that shines in the darkness,
and the darkness shall not overcome it," "the liberty we prize is not
America's gift to the world; it is God's gift to humanity," "Pax Americana,"
all spoken in support of war and empire -- I hear to say that we are on God's
side, rather than (as Lincoln said) praying that we are on God's side.

God is God, we are just a country.

The answer to this lousy theology is to remember that the battle between good
and evil belongs to God, not us, and it takes place first and foremost in our
own hearts, to fear God's justice (Jefferson) rather than presume that we are
it, to address the log in our own eye before criticizing hte speck in our
neighbor's, to put our concern with the poor and hungry, rather than
accumulating wealth and power.

Nick