----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Minette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 10:05 PM
Subject: Re: The Other Christianity (was Re: Babble theory, and comments)

> Yet, I weigh this consensus opinion much heavier than arguements that it
is
> nonsense.  One thing that I think lay people

don't realize is that science doesn't work quite as it is pictured in
textbooks or in popular science accounts.  It is not simply turn the crank
deductive reasoning.  When things are uncertain, the right intuition can
save a lot of time.  It's true, once things are put together, the paper
that comes out looks tight and deductive.  But, the process requires having
good opinions...and being very willing to modify opinions as needed.
Knowing the golden mean between vacillation with each bit of data and going
miles down a dark alley by sticking to one's guns is part of what is taught
during that apprenticeship period.

Dan M.