At 05:34 PM Wednesday 4/20/2005, Nick Arnett wrote:
On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 16:29:57 -0400, Erik Reuter wrote

> > Scipy, a Python module that uses native libraries, seems to
> > perform quite well at such things once it one muddles through the
> > documentation to figure out the right way to attack the problem.
>
> Huh? factorial(N, exact=1) will calculate it using arbitrary
> precision integer arithmetic.

Right... but Scipy has all sorts of ways to do all sorts of things.  I'm
usually doing somewhat more complex linear algebra stuff, such as calculating
eigenvectors and various sorts of decomposition, including our favorite,
singular value decomposition.  It's is all a bit taxing our systems,
especially when I want to do really large matrices (like 50K x 10K).  If it
goes into virtual memory, there isn't enough time in the universe to finish
some of these things.

FWIW, the same old computer I mentioned previously was limited to doing eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a 24x24 matrix: there wasn't enough memory to work on a 25x25 . . .

(That was the first program I wrote, btw.)

-- Ronn! :)