At 11:18 AM Thursday 4/21/2005, Nick Arnett wrote:
On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 10:21:00 -0500, Dan Minette wrote

> Then what is morality?  A long list of rules?  My basis for morality
> is "love neighbor as self"

There's a commandment that comes ahead of that for me, which has to do with
loving God.

Which of course, at the risk of both stating the exceedingly obvious and fanning the flames of [flame]war, is the issue at the heart of the matter.

You and I and other believers put "loving God" at the head of the list, and it generally follows from that that God is the source of the standards by which right and wrong are measured. Those who do not believe in God, and indeed in many cases are of the opinion that those who profess a belief in God are deluded, mentally ill, or not thinking rationally, argue that any attempt to establish the standard of right and wrong by reference to the words of an imaginary being is nonsensical. Though I agree that following the Second Great Commandment is a good guide to morality, one problem if that occurs if we rely on the judgement of mortals only is that it is not always clear or easy to determine in every case what it means to 'love our neighbor as ourself."

-- Ronn! :)