At 12:09 AM 4/10/2005 -0700, Doug Pensinger wrote:
>> And if he did so after open-mindedly considering all sides of the issue,
>> would you still consider him to be closed-minded on the subject for
>> issuing a final decision?
>
>I would say he gave the appearance of closing his mind on the subject by
>making a final decision, but that not knowing much about church politics
>I'm open to the possibility that I'm mistaken.  How open minded was he on
>other issues such as birth control, celibacy and gay marriage?

On the other hands, he was extremely open-minded on such subjects as
multiculturalism, ecumenism, and reaching out to other faiths.   His
"Theology of the Body" in many respects overhauled Church teaching on
sexuality - while still reaching the conclusion that contraception is
intrinsically immoral.   Thus, given the context of his views on birth
control I can only conclude that he was open-minded on the subject, but
simply reached a different conclusion than you or I would have.   On the
matter of priestly celibacy, I think that he was almost inherently
open-minded, as the Church teaching on that issue is hardly even close to
definitive (unlike the argument that you could make in regards to the
ordination of women - although I would probably still disagree with you on
that point.)    You may have a stronger argument on the case of gay
marriage, although this issue has only been seriously debated so recently
that I think that it is simply too hard to judge given the context.
Without serious debate within the Church on gay marriage, it would be
virtually impossible for someone who open-mindedly concluded opposition to
gay marriage to demonstrate that open-mindedness in his position.

>In my opinion, if one _favors_ tradition over change (or vice-versa), then
>one is inherently closed minded to some extent.

So, would you say that you are/were closed-minded on school vouchers and
liberating Iraq?

JDG