--- "Robert G. Seeberger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Over at rec.music.progressive the big discussion
> concerns romanticism
> vs. modernism in terms of progressive rock.

Give them my best.

But remember.

1. Romanticism and modernism share some themes!  BOTH
preach suspicion of authority, for example, and
respect for diversity/eccentricity.  This harkens back
to when they were allies against monarchy, before they
turned on each other.  These themes fill much
music/art/cinema.

2.  We are all deeply romantic.  The trick is to let
modernism be in charge of POLICY.  We can then try to
have a reasonable, progressive, pragmatic
civilization...

... that then lets us all hoot and holler and do
romantic things in our free time.  Or in the arts.

thrive