On 4/30/05, JDG <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >the
> >>
> >> That's how politics works, John.
> >
> >If I recall the conversation correctly, this really doesn't answer
> >anything. Or address the point I was making. I know politics works
> >by saying a lot of different things that you don't necessarily mean.
> >That was sorta my point.
>
> Actually, I think that it is just the opposite. It is the tried-and-true
> means of raising an unpopular, but necessary idea, to see if it will walk,
> or to see if it will be skewered. It looked like a fairly obvious "trial
> balloon."
>
> Unfortunately, the Republicans seem rather alone in taking the Social
> Security problem seriously - whereas the Democrats *still* have yet to
> show
> that they have *any* ideas.
>
> JDG

Every single proposal the Republicans have floated in talking "seriously"
about Social Security cuts the median benefits, even after the new
privatized portion is factored in, more than if we do nothing. Every
proposal also involves the government borrowing more money sooner to deal
with smaller deficits later. End of discussion.

--
Gary Denton
Easter Lemming Blogs