On May 5, 2005, at 3:28 PM, Nick Arnett wrote:

On Thu, 5 May 2005 14:01:00 -0700, Warren Ockrassa wrote

Sometimes, it seems to me, anger is really a masking emotion for fear.

Only sometimes? How about always? Although other things may lie behind
anger, I tend to think that fear is always there.

That could well be true. I was thinking more, however, of the emotional range to which many men seem socially constrained -- anger or horniness, possibly exuberance. That is, when a man says he's angry, he could really be feeling fear, but expressing that fear in the only way he knows how. That's what I meant by "masking emotion" -- he's afraid but can't admit it, basically.

As to fear being present with anger in all cases ... that's a very interesting idea, and my inclination is to agree with your assessment. If anger is (in essence) a response to perceived threat -- any perceived threat -- it could be easy to support the suggestion that there's at least *some* fear there as well.

-- Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books http://books.nightwares.com/ Current work in progress "The Seven-Year Mirror" http://www.nightwares.com/books/ockrassa/Flat_Out.pdf