Gary Denton wrote:
>>> Col. David. H. Hackworth, 1930-2005 Legendary U.S. Army Guerrilla
>>> Fighter, Champion of the Ordinary Soldier
>>>
>>> Washington, D.C., May 5, 2005 – Col. David H. Hackworth, the
>>> United
>>> States Army's legendary, highly decorated guerrilla fighter and
>>> lifelong champion of the doughboy and dogface, ground-pounder and
>>> grunt, died Wednesday in Mexico. He was 74 years old. The cause of
>>> death was a form of cancer now appearing with increasing frequency
>>> among Vietnam veterans exposed to the defoliants called Agents
>>> Orange and Blue.
>>>

>> *http://tinyurl.com/7tfq3*
>>
>> Both the Pentagon and the conservatives turned on him for being one
>> of the first authentic heroes to say we didn't belong in Vietnam.
>>
>> He continued fighting for the ordinary dogfaces until the day he
>> died.
>>
>From the This Is True mailing list:

THIS WEEK'S HONORARY UNSUBSCRIBE goes to David H. Hackworth. An
orphan,
  Hackworth paid an older man to pose as his father to certify he was
old
  enough to join to join the U.S. Army because he hoped for "sex and
  adventure." He was only 15. After enlisting he advanced quickly: he
  became the youngest Captain to serve in the Korean War, and then the
  youngest Colonel to serve in the Vietnam War. During his
distinguished
  service he earned 91 medals (including two Distinguished Service
  Crosses, 10 Silver Stars, 8 Bronze Stars and an astounding 8 Purple
  Hearts). During his stay there he wrote a manual on how to fight
back
  against guerilla warfare, and a General called him "the best
battalion
  commander I ever saw in the United States Army." But by 1971
Hackworth
  was convinced that the U.S. could not win the war in Vietnam and
said
  so -- publicly -- and boldly spoke up against suggestions that the
U.S.
  use nuclear weapons there. The Army moved to court-martial him, but
he
  was allowed to resign instead, ending his 25-year career with an
  honorary discharge. But he didn't go quietly: Hackworth went on to
  become an outspoken anti-nuclear activist, earning him another
medal --
  the United Nations Medal for Peace. After his military career, he
wrote
  a column on military matters for Newsweek magazine and newspapers,
  wrote several books, and served as a TV commentator during the 1991
  Gulf War, the conflict in the Balkans, and, in 2004, predicted that
  American troops could be stuck in Iraq for "at least" another 30
years.
  "Most combat vets pick their fights carefully. They look at their
  scars, remember the madness and are always mindful of the fallout,"
he
  said in early 2005. "That's not the case in Washington, where the
White
  House and the Pentagon are run by civilians who have never sweated
it
  out on a battlefield." Col. "Hack" Hackworth, America's
most-decorated
  living veteran, died May 4 in Mexico from bladder cancer. He was 74.

xponent
Twice Is Nice Maru
rob