--- Deborah Harrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> As Nick (I think) noted already, a 'moral
> imperative'
> should be essentially unimpeachable, because it is a
> softer reason than, say, the other guy has missiles
> pointed at your capital.

Yeah, but his argument didn't make any sense, because
it was just a wholesale abrogation of moral judgment
to other people - people who have an interest in
acting in an immoral fashion.  All of the arguments
you and he make _completely ignore_ that fact.  We
have many, many examples of different ways in which
the countries whose sanctions you advocate us seeking
have showed that moral concerns have little or no
claim on their stated beliefs.  Ignoring that fact
doesn't make it less true.

> As others have pointed out, he _is_ calling for
> action
> WRT Darfur, which is laudable.  From what I've
> learned, it is not possible for the US alone to
> intervene there militarily, as our forces are
> stretched too far elsewhere.  Getting ANC (?)
> countries to be major participants in such an
> intervention would probably be morally better than
> going it alone, as it shows respect for and
> confidence
> in their abillity to police their own continent.
> But
> because the Rwanda massecres (sp!!) happened so
> quickly, sole intervention then would have been
> justifiable to me.
>
> Debbi

But, in fact, whether or not our forces were stretched
thin, other countries won't really be helping much,
because they don't have the military capacity to
engage in a wholesale intervention.  The complete
collapse of deployable European/Japanese military
capacity since the end of WW2 has been one of the
untold, and most interesting, stories of international
politics.  Anyways, yes, getting them to intervene is
good, but their intervention has been illegal and
unapproved by the UN.  You can be in favor of
intervention to stop genocide in Rwanda/Darfur _or_
you can say that intervention on moral principles is
contingent on international consensus.  You _cannot_
do both.  They are fundamentally inconsistent
positions.  The French government, which has veto
power in the UN, _aided_ in the Rwandan genocide and
denies that there is a genocide happening in the
Sudan.  As long as they do that, UN approval is
impossible, therefore legal intervention is
impossible.  You can either stand on international law
or on the necessity of humanitarian intervention.  You
cannot do both.

Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"