On 5/13/05, Nick Arnett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2005 22:01:20 -0500, Dan Minette wrote
>
> > Here's one example. Karbala and is buried there. For Shiites, his
> > tomb is the holiest site outside of Mecca and Medina, Among other
> > things, Hussein prohibited the pilgrimages to Karbala, on the
> > anniversary of Husayn's (the Prophet's grandson) death. They are now
> > able to go.
>
> Yes... and no, to the extent that stuff blowing up here and there is a good
> reason to stay home.  And there are curfews, difficulty getting gas (which is
> much more expensive, but still quite a bargain compared to here, IIRC).

Saddam was a secularist and oppressed the religious fanatics.  He
later politically embraced some elements of Islam but still it was a
political decision and fantastical Shites especially were oppressed.

I am not sure if I see ceremonies of religious ecstasy with blood
running in the streets from self-mutilation necessarily a step in the
right direction.  I am not sure it is a step in the wrong direction
but it is a step in a different direction about as bad.

It remains likely that Iran will get the most benefit from this war: A
friendly Shiite state opposed to the Saudi monarchy and with personal
knowledge of the worth of American promises.

-
Gary Denton
Easter Lemming Blogs
http://elemming.blogspot.com