Republican libertarian Ron Paul answered the question is Iraq better off on
the floor of Congress.

Whenever the administration is challenged regarding the success of the Iraq
war, or regarding the false information used to justify the war, the retort
is: "Aren't the people of Iraq better off?" The insinuation is that anyone
who expresses any reservations about supporting the war is an apologist for
Saddam Hussein and every ruthless act he ever committed. The short answer to
the question of whether the Iraqis are better off is that it's too early to
declare, "Mission Accomplished." But more importantly, we should be asking
if the mission was ever justified or legitimate. Is it legitimate to justify
an action that some claim yielded good results, if the means used to achieve
them are illegitimate? Do the ends justify the means?

The information Congress was given prior to the war was false. There were no
weapons of mass destruction; the Iraqis did not participate in the 9/11
attacks; Osama bin Laden and Saddam Hussein were enemies and did not
conspire against the United States; our security was not threatened; we were
not welcomed by cheering Iraqi crowds as we were told; and Iraqi oil has not
paid any of the bills. Congress failed to declare war, but instead passed a
wishy-washy resolution citing UN resolutions as justification for our
invasion. After the fact we're now told the real reason for the Iraq
invasion was to spread democracy, and that the Iraqis are better off. Anyone
who questions the war risks being accused of supporting Saddam Hussein,
disapproving of democracy, or "supporting terrorists." It's implied that
lack of enthusiasm for the war means one is not patriotic and doesn't
support the troops. In other words, one must march lock-step with the
consensus or be ostracized.

However, conceding that the world is better off without Saddam Hussein is a
far cry from endorsing the foreign policy of our own government that led to
the regime change. In time it will become clear to everyone that support for
the policies of pre-emptive war and interventionist nation-building will
have much greater significance than the removal of Saddam Hussein itself.
The interventionist policy should be scrutinized more carefully than the
purported benefits of Saddam Hussein's removal from power. The real question
ought to be: "Are we better off with a foreign policy that promotes regime
change while justifying war with false information?" Shifting the stated
goals as events unravel should not satisfy those who believe war must be a
last resort used only when our national security is threatened.

How much better off are the Iraqi people? Hundreds of thousands of former
inhabitants of Fallajah are not better off with their city flattened and
their homes destroyed. Hundreds of thousands are not better off living with
foreign soldiers patrolling their street, curfews, and the loss of basic
utilities. One hundred thousand dead Iraqis, as estimated by the Lancet
Medical Journal, certainly are not better off. Better to be alive under
Saddam Hussein than lying in some cold grave.

Praise for the recent election in Iraq has silenced many critics of the war.
Yet the election was held under martial law implemented by a foreign power,
mirroring conditions we rightfully condemned as a farce when carried out in
the old Soviet system and more recently in Lebanon. Why is it that what is
good for the goose isn't always good for the gander?

and more here
http://www.freeliberal.com/archives/000973.html

Gary Denton
Easter Lemming Blogs