----- Original Message -----
From: "JDG" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2005 6:36 AM
Subject: Re: US Pensions

> At 10:29 PM 5/12/2005 -0500, Dan M. wrote:
> >> And what happens if the company goes bankrupt?
> >>
> >The pension fund wasn't owned by the company...it was not considered a
> >company asset.  The problem was not that the pension obligations went to
> >other creditors (the employees were creditors after all).  It was that
the
> >company was able to use vodoo ecconomics to fund the pensions.
>
> Wow, how surprising.   It really all always comes back to bashing
> Republicans with you, doesn't it?

Well, supply side ecconomics was voodoo.  Bush I was right.  Creative
accounting was allowed to overstate the values of the pension assets.

> First, we are talking about companies in bankruptcy.    I find it very
> difficult to believe that everything would be hunky-dory if the company
had
> just made even *more* payments in the past.

Not everything.  You may not know the dynamics of what's going on.
Bankrupt companies are competing on price, _after_ they've been able to
write off major obligations.  As a result, their cost structures are lower,
and they can undercut companies that were better off....forcing them down.
As a result of the bankrupt airlines competing (contributing to oversupply
and a price structure that's impossible for most airlines which have not
gone bankrupt to compete with, one by one the other carriers are going
down.  If one or two of the worst actually disappeared, then the rest could
stay out of bankrupcy.

> Second, many of these funds are invested heavily in the company's own
stock
> - perhaps not in the case of United - but it does exist, and this
practice
> should be discontinued.

That's one of the things that was allowed in the '80s.  My memory was that
was a change from the government regulations requiring prudent management
of the pensions before that.

> So, by your logic, I can presume that you favored the Bush tax cuts, as
> cutting taxes for the rich surely builds support among the rich for
helping
> the poor - without which we'd be leaving our grandparents to eat dog
food....

No, because the net effect is to direct money away from the poor and toward
the rich.

Let me give a corporate parallel.  If a particular company within a has
high costs and higher income, the company is still profitable.  Slashing
the high costs in that company may be more detrimental than cutting lower
costs in another.  SS can be thought of as an entity.  There are SS taxes,
and SS payments.  The SS taxes are not enough to pay for future payments,
so I suggested a mechanism for slowing their growth.  The net effect is
progressive.  I really don't see the problem with me assuming the
properties of algebra in discussing economics.

Dan M.