> Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >JDG wrote:
> >> Deborah wrote:

> >>....I was
> >>disappointed by the recent unimpressive voting
> >>turnout by women.  War, even necessary war, is
> >>antithetical to what "we" are taught as girls.

> > Are you suggesting that there are inherent
> differences among the sexes?

>There are certainly differences *between* the sexes
>imposed by the culture, which is where we are taught.

Bob C wrote "...she said `taught'.  In ordinary
language, 'taught' implies something other than
`inherent'.  Perhaps Deborah does have opinions about
inherent differences...

Culturally (at least in the US) girls are taught to
consider others' feelings as a major factor in their
own behavior; I even catch myself using that in my
teaching (...how would *you* feel if...?) to girls vs.
boys (If you treat them meanly, they won't do what you
want and might even buck you off...).   I do give a
logical/practical reason as well to the girls, and
drive home the fact that horses have feelings to boys,
but -- there is my own cultural bias, suddenly lit.

I've stated before that I do think there are inherent
differences, hard-wired by our biology, but these are
at least somewhat modifiable.  Unless you're a vole:
monogamous if of the plains variety, polygamous if of
the mountain species.  Really.

Debbi
Only Sometimes The Gentler Sex Maru      ;)