At 12:29 PM Monday 5/23/2005, Dave Land wrote:

As it was, the weekend was a real bust for Ryan: we drove down to
CalArts in Valencia from San Jose (about 7 hours' drive and back) to see
his cousin graduate from film school. For a school that has graduated
the likes of Tim Burton, Ralph Eggleston, Ed Harris, Brad Bird and John
Lasseter, they sure don't know how to produce a graduation ceremony, at
least not one that keeps a reasonably bright 8-year-old entertained. A
drum circle. Some Alanis Morissette wannabe singing "L.A., L.A., L.A.,
what have you done to me?" Grey-hairs accepting their honoris causae.
3-1/2 hours ... and only *then* his cousin cross the stage.

One (at least one who is cynical^H^H^H^H^H^H^H realistic about the industry) question one might ask is whether "keep[ing] a reasonably bright 8-year-old entertained" is the primary purpose of the film school graduation, or is it possibly acknowledging that although the ones you mention did graduate from there, the odds are good that for at least some of the graduates the graduation ceremony may indeed be the high point of their film careers . . . ?

Would You Like Fries With That Maru

-- Ronn!  :)