On Jun 1, 2005, at 3:22 PM, Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

At 11:47 AM Wednesday 6/1/2005, Dave Land wrote:
On Jun 1, 2005, at 8:57 AM, Nick Arnett wrote:

Little-Used Punishment

A senior officer's loss of a star is a punishment seldom used, and then
usually for the most serious offenses, such as dereliction of duty or
command failures, adultery or misuse of government funds or equipment.

Am I the only one surprised to find adultery on this list of "most
serious offenses" for which this sanction can be applied? I can see that it's a problem if it leads to a dereliction of duty, command failure, or
misuse of gov't funds or equipment or so forth. I realize that this is
just the article author's list, but I suspect that he didn't make it up
out of whole cloth. I would be willing to bet that other serious
offenses, such as murder, drug abuse, prostitution and so forth would
qualify as well.

Far be it from me to minimize the personal costs of adultery, but I'm
not sure how that one (serious, but personal) failing rises to the same
level as, for example, dereliction of duty.

Thoughts?

Have you ever been in the US military?

I was in the US Coast Guard Academy in 1976. Class of '80 -- the first
one that included women cadets. I lasted about four months before I
"processed out," but I did get to spend a week on the Eagle during the
tail end of the Bicentennial "Operation Sail" program of tall ships
visiting US ports.

It *almost* made all the other BS of being in a military academy worth
it. Almost.

But, in direct answer to your question, no, I haven't.

After asking the above question, I realized that people lose their
security clearance for things like adultery, because it makes them
susceptible to blackmail and such-like. And I guess you don't get to
have any stars at all if you don't have pretty solid clearance.

Dave