----- Original Message -----
From: "David Brin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 7:14 PM
Subject: Re: Brin: Forget global warming, let's make a difference

> --- Erik Reuter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > Lomberg doesn't have anything against talking about
> > the global warming
> > problem. And I doubt he would say investing money to
> > research solutions
> > to global warming would be a waste.
>
> SHow me where he acknowledges any need to do anything
> at all.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-files/Guardian/documents/2001/08/14/warming.pdf
<quote>
Third, we should realize that the cost of global warming will be
substantial - about $5 trillion. Since
cutting back CO2 emissions quickly turns very costly and easily
counterproductive, we should focus
more of our effort at finding ways of easing the emission of greenhouse
gases over the long run. Partly,
this means that we need to invest much more in research and development of
solar power, fusion and
other likely power sources of the future. Given a current US investment in
renewable energy research
and development of just $200 million, a considerable increase would seem a
promising investment to
achieve a possible conversion to renewable energy towards the latter part
of the century. Partly, this
also means that we should be much more open towards other techno-fixes
(so-called geoengineering).
These suggestions range from fertilizing the ocean (making more algae bind
carbon when they die and
fall to the ocean floor) and putting sulfur particles into the stratosphere
(cooling the earth) to capturing
CO2 from fossil fuel use and returning it to storage in geological
formations.30 Again, if one of these
approaches could indeed mitigate (part of) CO2 emissions or global warming,
this would be of
tremendous value to the world.
<end quote>