Seems to belong here - a long article on the US interrogation system
this past Sunday.

Perm link

http://tinyurl.com/7rmhr
http://www.bugmenot.com

"Only after a new commanding officer had arrived and official
inquiries had issued their reports did we learn that 40 percent of
those penned up at Guantanamo never belonged there in the first place.
At Abu Ghraib in Iraq, the record was even worse: two-thirds of the
detainees were eventually said to have been innocent of terrorist
links. At least when they were picked up. Who knows what leanings they
developed or links they forged during and after their interrogations?"

"...uncomfortable with both absolutist positions -- the trusting ''do
what you have to do in secret'' carte blanche versus the pure ''no
coercive force ever'' position held by those who are strict
constructionists when it comes to laws against torture lite as well as
torture -- and equally dubious about the feasibility of a decent
middle ground, I set out with notebook in hand several months ago to
speak to politicians on Capitol Hill, spymasters, interrogators and
legal experts. My hopes were that their experience and conclusions
would shed light on the ingredients of a successful interrogation,
whether these included coercion and, if so, how much, and whether
there was anything that ordinary citizens could safely be told about
what goes on in the shadows. My itinerary wasn't arduous. It involved
traveling to Washington for conversations on Capitol Hill; then to
Cambridge, Mass., to talk to law professors with a range of strong
views on my subject; and finally to Israel, a country whose Supreme
Court had asserted its jurisdiction and declared in 1999 that not only
torture but all forms of ''cruel, inhuman and degrading treatment'' --
the term for torture lite used in the Convention Against Torture --
were illegal under Israeli law. At least there, it seemed, the
security services that conduct interrogations had adapted themselves
over many years to the idea that some legal standards might actually
apply on the dark side. That was more or less the American view until
just after 9/11."

"Even when clear evidence of the effectiveness of torture lite is hard
to come by, democracies threatened by terrorism shrink from laying
down the weapon. Should the threat ever pass, we can be expected to
repress any memory of its use as we now try to do in daily life while
it persists. Then we'll discover how much gratitude or resentment has
accrued to us in the places where we've operated, among the
descendants of those we've detained."

--
Gary Denton
Easter Lemming Blogs