On 27 Jun 2005, at 5:49 am, Warren Ockrassa wrote:

On Jun 26, 2005, at 10:28 AM, William T Goodall wrote:

On 25 Jun 2005, at 12:36 pm, Andrew Paul wrote:

The question I want answered is what is religion.
(apart from evil of course)

The first thing to note is that there is no single simple identifier of religion (even obvious candidates like human sacrifice or temple prostitution are not universal across all religions)

Though there are correlates. Loosely, the Kama Sutra and the Christian sacrament/communion can fall into those categories. One is sex for the purpose of interaction with deity; the other is ritual deicide/cannibalism. Eat the enemy to get his power; eat the god to become immortal.

Anyway, here are the thoughts of some professionals on the subject:

I take it that you align with these ideas.

"An acceptable definition of religion itself is difficult to attain.
Attempts have been made to find an essential ingredient in all religions (e.g., the numinous, or spiritual, experience; the contrast between the sacred and the profane; belief in gods or in God), so that an "essence" of
religion can be described.

This seems overcomplicated. I think a simpler explanation of religion is twofold:

It isn't actually though. It's necessary to be that complicated otherwise:

1. People who have had some experience of something beyond normal experience: The numinous, the unexpected, the apparently divine or miraculous, because it doesn't fit into normal experience; and

2. A cadre of individuals who feel the experience they had in (1) was similar enough that they're of the same stripe.

You've just described UFO abductees. which is not a religion. That's why the definition I gave was complicated - it has to separate the religious from the other types of nutter.

You were right; the discussion was both long and boring, but only so because you haven't posted anything new, interesting or truly thoughtworthy. Sorry; truly. You're going to have to be more incisive than this to really make your point, even to an atheist like myself.

LOL, well it was only part one...

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"There's an old saying in Tennessee -- I know it's in Texas, probably in
Tennessee -- that says, fool me once, shame on -- shame on you. Fool me -- you can't get fooled again." -George W. Bush, Nashville, Tenn., Sept. 17, 2002