Robert J. Chassell wrote:
Julia Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote,
    Cream pie has a noticeably lower density than water.

    Am I going to have to go to Marie Callender's later this week to
    buy some for the purpose of determining density?  :)

Certainly.  My guess is that its density is a fifth that of water.

While you have the pie uneaten, please consider sacrificing a dollop
by dropping a spoonful from a known height and measuring its splash
radius.

This should fascinate the kids:  this is how Mommy makes a mess ...

You make it sound so fun!  :)

  She does lots of measuring ...

* Measure the size of the dollop, say 2 cm across,
  * drop it from a known and measured height, say 1 meter, onto a hard
    and cleanable floor, such as the kitchen floor, and then

Plenty of hard and cleanable floor *away* from the area of carpet professionally cleaned this morning. Breakfast nook is farther from the dining room, but furniture might need to be moved before or cleaned afterwards.

  * measure the splat radius (max, min, and roughly, what it is on
    average).

Perhaps you can ask if one of the kids wants to wipe up after ...

Well, I'd do an initial wipe to get up what could be got up easily, and after that, well, that's one of the reasons we have a dog. :) (She loves having 2 toddlers in the house, especially when they're eating meat -- or, in Catherine's case, not finishing meat and flinging it on to the floor.)

Then tell us
Of course, many will argue that you cannot extrapolate from a single
dollop and that you should drop various sized dollops from various
heights, so we can extrapolate from a proper equation.  But I think a
cream pie should be eaten ...

Yes.  But just a few dollops won't totally use up the pie.

        Julia