On 7/12/05, Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote a bunch of
stuff.

I will slowly get to it.

PBS Frontline had an excellent show tonight on the Europeans fighting
terrorists. Some of what I thought were highlights.

A big split between how the Europeans are handling terrorism and America.
Europe does primarily treat it as a police problem and has been pretty
successful, despite the major bombings including London. Sixty-eight plots
had been stopped, some bigger than 9/11. (Several people complained about
Bush and the lack of cooperation with America but I will ignore Bush, he is
now just an ineffective incompetent lame duck.)

Spain has a policy of holding terrorists up to four years without charges
because of the need to keep this web of virus-like cells from operating and
the difficulty in making some cases. Complaints of the Americans still
having an 80's model of terrorists with a more formal structure. A major
terrorist in Germany on trial will probably win because the US will not
provide Gitmo prisoners to testify against him. Even if they were provided
their testimony may be ruled inadmissible because of the possibility of
torture.

Someone from the CIA noted that since the 90's - starting with Clinton, the
CIA had to decide how to treat terrorists because there has been no
direction from the White House. The CIA decided they had a preventative
role, primarily adopting the policy of shipping captives to countries most
likely to keep them locked up and provide more information through
interrogation.

The biggest threat may not be directly al Qaeda but an Egyptian inspired
group which advises not following the Koran or Muslim teachings. They have a
theory of special dispensation because of the mission they are on where it
is more important to blend in to strike at enemies.

Nearly all terrorists are not very religious but have been radicalized
students and young professionals, often engineers.

This is a political extremist movement but they want to create a Muslim
religious network of states. Does this make it a religious movement? I don't
think so but am not sure - we have such a blending and blurring of the lines
between political and religious fundamentalist groups now, not only within
Islam but with American Dominionists and Indian fundamentalist Hindus.

Europeans seem to hold that the terrorists are seeking to reestablish the
Great Caliphate when Arabs were the major political and intellectual Empire.
This is similar to the view expressed by many others here but not expressed
by officials on the program were the racial and religious bigotry I normally
hear by those writing or speaking of this.

More directly to Dan:

Interesting contradiction in the Weekly Standard: I can't ignore the irony
of calling Gitmo "kind" which is only possible by the comparison to secret
CIA facilities.

"But neither the CIA facilities, nor the far more open, regulated, and by
most accounts kind Guantanamo jail, are likely to have made us less safe by
boosting the recruitment of holy warriors. It's possible that the
humiliating image of these prisons is somewhere in the cauldron that makes
for death-wish holy warriors. Not enough time has passed to allow us to know
for sure one way or the other."

But then it argues: "However, it is far more reasonable to suppose, given
the history of al Qaeda and of the first generation of holy warriors, that
the prison's closure would be seen on Islamic extremist websites--the ones *New
York Times* columnist Thomas Friedman is rightly terrified of--as an
enormous boon to militants."

Somehow it misses the point that both views are true - now that we have it
and the world knows about our vaulted democracy and rule of law and
semi-torture it is a recruitment tool and when we close it it will be seen
as a victory.

I have expressed my opinions of Friedman and the fearful supporters of the
view expressed here before.

The article does seem to avoid the point that Gitmo sole reason for being
was to avoid US or another nation's or arguably international laws.

I agree when they write this: "The administration should also consider
challenging Congress to make membership in several Islamic extremist groups
punishable by death or life imprisonment." and this "The administration
should demand of itself very high intelligence standards for ascertaining
whether someone belongs to al Qaeda, or Algeria's vicious and al
Qaeda-aligned Armed Islamic Group, or just the often intellectually ugly but
nonlethal Tabligh fundamentalist movement."

I disagree in a number of places and don't think he is arguing for the rule
of law and not vengeance and I believe he is arguing for the establishment
of some more imperial state that I would. Particularly when he concludes
"The Bush administration should minimize the possible intrusion of the
courts into the strategy and tactics of the war on terror..."

I disagree with his outlook for Iraq and the Middle East. This is more like
Vietnam with Bush as LBJ, launching an unwinable war based on lies and a
misunderstanding of the enemy while also reward friends at home with his tax
policies and destroying the economy in the process. Do you think Iraq was
and is worth what it costs?

On the two Muslim statements both are what I expect. The first was echoed by
another Muslim leader on Frontline. The second, well, I see American
religious fanaticism expressed in the same terms by abortion bombers, etc.
There is a reporter in America that has been writing on the rise of fascism
and the right religious fanatics for some time. He also notes some cogent
words on this war on terrorism by a former FBI agent.

http://dneiwert.blogspot.com/2005/06/whos-weak-on-terror.html

On 7/12/05, Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:<snip>

--
Gary Denton
http://www.apollocon.org June 23-25, 2006

Easter Lemming Blogs