----- Original Message -----
From: "Gautam Mukunda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Saturday, July 30, 2005 10:49 PM
Subject: Re: space shuttle obsolete

> --- Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > In what sense would these be nuclear powered?
> > Nuclear propulsion is
> > practical for long, slow accelerations, not lifting
> > off a massive body like
> > the earth.  Relatively little progress has been made
> > in that area because
> > the physics is straightforward, and the chemistry
> > basically just chemical
> > engineering. I think material science is probably
> > the area where the
> > advances would be most useful.  The next most
> > important advance would be
> > rugged electronics.  In my own limited field, we
> > subject electronics to far
> > greater stresses than anything one would expect
> > going to space.
>
> Let me toss in a different technology - nanotech.  The
> single most interesting thing I attended in my year at
> MIT was a talk by an aeronautical engineering
> professor here on the aerospace implications of
> nanotech - in particular, the nanotech developments
> _already working in his lab_.  One of the things that
> he showed us were massive increases in the efficiency
> of jet and rocket engines.  He actually handed out a
> working jet engine about the size of my thumb.  The
> engine for the F-22 - probably the most advanced
> "normal" jet engine in the world has (IIRC - it's been
> several months now) an 8:1 power to weight ratio,
> which is pretty good.  This little thing, a first
> generation engine using nanotech, has a 50:1 power to
> weight ratio.

There is a long article at:

http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/04/11/freedman1104.asp

about this guy.  There are a few caviats involved.  While the power/weight
ratio is wonderful, the efficiency is worse than a conventional engine.
So, the nanotech involved is making an engine turbine a bit smaller than a
dime, letting it spin 1 million RPMs and keep it working for a long time.
According to this article, the jet cannot work continuously, the turbine is
unstable, etc.  The develops think it will take 2-3 more years to iron out
these wrinkles.

If things go well, they would probably have a good battery substitute for
military use in about 4-5 years.

>  He thought, IIRC, that he and his grad students could, if
> they chose, build a rocket that could put 10 kgs in
> LEO for about $50,000.  It was just mindblowing - I
> wish I had a tape of the presentation so I could show
> it to people.

Given the fact that he is getting millions in contracts from the military,
it's hard to believe that they would not have an interest in this.  A 50k
contract would not buy much of his time....or that much in hardware for
that matter.  It would have to be a modest grad student project, with only
a bit of advice from the major prof.  Sounds like a neat engineering PhD
topic; I'd guess that the successful student would have little trouble
getting a job for a big defense contractor.  So, I'd be a bit more
skeptical of that claim.

Dan M.