On 26 Jul 2005, at 11:18 am, William T Goodall wrote:

On 17 Jul 2005, at 3:45 am, Max Battcher wrote:

Julia Thompson wrote:

THERE IS A MISTAKE ON PAGE 10!
At least in the US edition.
Was Gautam reading too fast to catch it?  :)
    Julia
who is on page 10

The sight/site switch? Jumps off the page, doesn't it? Although I'm of the opinion that book editors are getting sloppier and sloppier lately. If I had cataloged all of the recent mistakes that had jumped out at me from "big name" books I think I might have a very long list. I wish I got paid every time I discovered an editing mistake.

I think it was Harlan Ellison who wrote a big rant about 25 years ago about the declining standards of copy editing :) Now I'm just used to seeing 'baited breath' and such in every book. The other problem is spelling checkers and search and replace garbling text.

I just read the story 'Marcher' by Chris Beckett in Dozois' nineteenth annual best sf and the main character is called Huw (a Welsh name).

"Huw did you get on?" is supposed to be "How did you get on?" I suspect. Just about every story in the book has some kind of mistake in it.

Twentieth Year's Best, first story

"There were storms, and white crackles of lightening, "...

I suppose if I were really generous I might let that pass as a deliberate archaism. But I'm not :) And there aren't other archaisms in the text to suggest it might have been meant. And that wasn't the first problem with the first story, I just couldn't be bothered looking back after I got annoyed by this one.

--
William T Goodall
Mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"It is our belief, however, that serious professional users will run out of things they can do with UNIX." - Ken Olsen, President of DEC, 1984.