--- Ritu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Gautam Mukunda wrote:
> > What makes you say he _was_ a major player in
> getting
> > us involved?  He was the Deputy Secretary of
> Defense.
> > Can you name the Deputy Secretary of a single
> other
> > Department?
>
> Have any other Deputy Secretaries given major
> interviews on the most
> controversial topic of the day? Until I read this
> thread I had no idea
> that Wolfie was a Jew, but I remember him basically
> because of his
> statement that the administration went ahead with
> the WMD
> rationalisation/charges because it seemed to be the
> most convenient way
> to garner support for the invasion of Iraq. It was
> the Vanity Fair
> interview, and if I recall correctly, he also said
> that the invasion of
> Iraq would undercut AQ propaganda because it would
> enable the US to
> withdraw it troops from SA.

Yes, of course.  Everybody in the Administration
supported the war, Ritu.  It was sort of a job
requirement.  The others just don't get the same
amount of press.

> >  The
> > _only_ below-Cabinet rank figures of any
> significance
> > most people have ever heard of are Wolfowitz and
> > Richard Perle.  One guess as to what they have in
> common.
>
> *That* I know! They were both very visible and vocal
> in their support
> for the invasion of Iraq. Perle gave countless
> interviews describing
> Saddam's Iraq as a terrorist state, but what I
> recall the best about him
> is the fact that he admitted that the invasion was
> illegal.

I sincerely doubt this, since it, well, _wasn't_.  I
think you may be misremembering.  Perle is not a
lawyer, of course, so he might have made a mistake.

> And all that stuff about Wolfie not being a major
> player is well and
> good from the point of view of administrative
> details but it certainly
> doesn't support your contention that the only reason
> people have heard
> of them is because they are Jews [that is if Perle
> is a Jew...?].
>
> Ritu

He is.  He's also an administration official to about
the same extent I am - he's an unpaid member of the
Defense Policy Review Board, a purely advisory
capacity.  But he is a Jewish conservative - another
person people can claim has betrayed the US in favor
of Israel.

Gautam Mukunda
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Freedom is not free"