In a message dated 8/18/2005 3:20:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> I think you do not understand the thrust of Zimmy's argument, which
> seems to be that for hundreds or thousands of years, various forms of
> overt and covert evils have been leveled against Jews by various groups
> (Amelekites, Egyptians, Germans, American Klansmen, and so forth), to
> the point that virtually all thought is now irretrievably poisoned by
> the meme of anti-semitism.

No my arguement is that anti-semitism is deeply embedded in the west. You may
be glib about it but it is there. I have offered many specific historical
examples of anti-semitism. No one has denied that these things occurred. They
just say that it is untrue. So for the catholics in the audience here is
another.
In approximately 1850 a catholic woman secretly baptised a jewish baby. The
baby was kidnapped. The pope refused to return the child to his parents. Had
paintings of the child made with him.

For you protestants in the audience; ever take a look at what Luther said
about the jews?

Do not get me wrong. I am not claiming that protestant groups and the
catholic church are anti-semitic. They certainly are not.
I am not saying that christians today are anti-semitic in the way that people
were in the past. I am saying that to deny history is to repeat it.

You can't avoid it, you can't deny it, it is

> in your cultural DNA. If you spent your entire life defending the rights
> of Jewish people everywhere, you would still be poisoned by
> anti-semitism and subject to criticism on that front.

but of course you can avoid it. If you do not deny that subtle anti-semitism
isn pervasive you can look at what you say or think and ask yourself if it is
reasonable. Kind like "you know your a redneck if" . For instance you know
your an anti-semite if you think the noble prize should be taken away from the
jewish leader but not Arafat (note - you may think it should be taken away from
both without being an anti-semite). Quite obviously everyone thinks this way.
The problem is that good and reasonable people think this way. At least some
people on this list don't think my sensitivity to this issue is out of place.