On 8/22/05, Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >If a physicist were here,
>
> There are at least two physicists here: Rich and myself.  I've only been
> active on the list for about six years, so maybe you didn't notice that I'm
> here. :-)

I did not know that.  There really should be a short page listing
names and professions of major posters, to prevent such amusing errors
as that.

> >he'd probably smack us and tell us to
> >distinguish between entropy and the arrow of time/dimension of time.
>
> That's not the real problem: the real problem in this thread is that you
> are trying to force special relativity (SR) into a classical physics box.
> In classical physics, we have x,y,z space, and a separate dimension t. We
> have  d^2 =x^2+y^2+z^2 (where d is the distance between two objects.)  The
> values for x, y, and z are coordinate system dependant: x, y, and z can be
> defined by any three orthanormal vectors (orthanormal vectors are both
> mutually orthogonal and have value 1).  The value of d is coordinate system
> independent.

A minor point: why are you representing the cartesian distance formula
in squared form? I've always elsewhere seen it as sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2).
And I agree partially: the time discussion is flowing out of the
absolute zero?=space travel discussion, which does suffer from the
Newtonian space problem.  But I'm not sure our time discussion is
similarly flawed.

<snippage of some interesting discussion of Einsteinian space>
> There is perfect symmetry.  Each observation is equally valid.
>
> Finally, two objects that are timelike (a signal at the speed of light can
> travel from one point in spacetime to another), will have the same sequence
> in time for all observers.  Two objects that are spacelike (a signal at the
> speed of light cannot travel from one point in spacetime to another), will
> be simultaneous in one inertial system, have A before B for some reference
> systems, and have B before A in the remainder of the reference systems.
>
> Hope this helps.  If there are any questions, just yell.
>
> Dan M.

How exactly does that work for space-like relationships?  Is this
potential to mix up ordering of A and B what allows reverse time
travel?

~Maru