Julia Thompson wrote:

I drove by the Chevron this morning after 9. They posted $2.679. I drove by the Albertson's. They posted $2.749. I went to HEB. They posted $2.789. So the Chevron is the best place to buy gas.

I buy my groceries at HEB and head back to the Chevron station. The price had gone up to $2.799. I grumbled and filled up the gas tank in that vehicle.

I took a different vehicle to pick up Sam at school. I went to the Albertson's to buy the green bell peppers I'd neglected to get at HEB. When I went in to the store, the price was still $2.749. When I came out of the store, intending to buy gas, the price had jumped to $2.819. I figured I'd just go back to the Chevron and pay the $2.799 there.

So I get to the Chevron and the price is now $2.899! I grumble and drive home without topping off that tank.

I'm going to take that vehicle to take Sam to an appointment and go back to the HEB on the way back and pay whatever the heck HEB is charging at that point this afternoon, and expect the Chevron price to be up once again....

Update on prices as of 3PM:

HEB:  $2.999
Albertson's:  $2.819 (unchanged from the morning price)
Chevron:  $3.019

Previously unmentioned Shell station: $2.799, same as when I went by just after 9AM

I put all the 3PM gas price info I had up on austingasprices.com . They didn't even have my Chevron listed before I did that! I guess I'll be updating that particular one on a regular basis in the future.

The Chevron jump from $2.679 to $3.019 in the space of 6 hours was the most startling to me. (It might be based on, "We can get the next shipment at $X per gallon. No, it's going to be $Y per gallon. Now it's up to $Z per gallon.")

        Julia