----- Original Message -----
From: "Gautam Mukunda" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Friday, September 02, 2005 4:58 PM
Subject: Re: Gas Prices

> --- Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > government intervention.  A truly conservative
> > argument is that, for all of
> > its flaws, the market does a much better job of
> > allocating gasoline in most
> > cases than does the government.
> >
> > Dan M.
>
> To be fair, that's _one_ of the two
> libertarian/conservative arguments.  The other is that
> it's much, much better to make sure that the
> government must not have the _power_ to control these
> things, because if they do, they will put it to bad
> use.  If the government can control gasoline
> allocations, then only the friends of the people in
> power will get gasoline, and this is A Bad Thing.

But, the government does have the power, right?  Congress has imposed
gasoline rationing in the past.  I think that, if the government were the
most efficient at rationing gasoline, then a good argument would be made
for it to take that function.  For example, if overseas oil supplies were
stopped for, say, a year, then I wouldn't expect to rely on market forces
to handle this.

If you look at other massive government programs, there's problems with
fraud, but I don't think that only buddies of Congressmen get Social
Security or Medicare.

Dan M.