Dave Land wrote:

> >> These are leaders who defined national security in terms
> of 9/11. The
> >> question is whether we will insist that the blighters we
> put in their
> >> places can think in terms of 8/29, too.
> >
> > I feel sorry for the victims, but wasn´t here an alarm, calling for
> > evacuation from the city _3 days_ before Katrina hit?
>
> Yeah, but a lot of the ones who remained behind did so
> because they do not have cars or financial means to get out
> otherwise.

What he said.

Here is an article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/03/AR200509
0301508.html

Jack Shafer add another dimesion when he talks of class and race and
says:

"To be sure, some reporters sidled up to the race and class issue. I
heard them ask the storm's New Orleans victims why they hadn't left town
when the evacuation call came. Many said they were broke—"I live from
paycheck to paycheck," explained one woman. Others said they didn't own
a car with which to escape and that they hadn't understood the
importance of evacuation.

But I don't recall any reporter exploring the class issue directly by
getting a paycheck-to-paycheck victim to explain that he couldn't risk
leaving because if he lost his furniture and appliances, his pots and
pans, his bedding and clothes, to Katrina or looters, he'd have no way
to replace them. No insurance, no stable, large extended family that
could lend him cash to get back on his feet, no middle-class job to
return to after the storm."

That was his article in Slate.

I also recall reading somewhere that the public transportation had
stopped working a day/few days before Katrina hit but can't figure out
where I read that. I am sure someone onlist would know if that is true
or not.

Ritu, who is off to bed now.