Link to the Mercury News article:

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/12617085.htm

Unbelievable... just unbelievable. A few weeks ago, Karen was telling me
about how difficult it was to read the autopsy report, which she had just
received. She had also requested the incident report and was angry that
instead of the report, the envelope contained a form that was supposed to
stay with the Army, saying that the report needed to be requested from
somewhere else. She was also unhappy the the reports were not delivered in
sealed envelopes, as they are supposed to be, as a matter of respect and
privacy.

I was already feeling fairly betrayed and distrusting as a result of the
Tillman muck-up and one other one where the official story was wrong, in
which the father actually went to Iraq and discovered the truth. Of all the
Gold Star family members, Karen is one of my best friends... and I respect
her the most.

The war is so far away, combat is another world, the decisions are being
made out of sight by heaven knows who... we are already so distant from all
this... and they make the distance worse. I suspect Karen is being very,
very generous in calling this incompetence.... but she is from an Army
family, so I'm not surprised she's giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Regardless of their intent this is still a betrayal, like so many other
betrayals coming from Washington these days.

I'm grateful that our family has had a chance to talk to Wes' platoon, so
that we heard first-hand how he died, rather than relying on the DoD.

Nick

--
Nick Arnett
[EMAIL PROTECTED]