I am deeply troubled by the president's decision to suspend the
Davis-Bacon Act in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The
Davis-Bacon Act requires federal contractors to pay workers the
average or "prevailing" regional wage for public construction
projects. In New Orleans, that wage is just over $9 an hour. The
act's suspension allows contractors to pay as little as $5.15 an
hour - the current federal minimum wage - for these projects.

Workers who lost everything in the rising waters cannot be
expected to support their families on $5.15 an hour. As these
women and men begin to rebuild their lives and their
communities, they desperately need a just wage from their
government, not a pay cut. As a person of faith, I believe that
every person has the right to productive work and to fair
compensation for that work.

Today I wrote a letter urging my member of Congress to sign on
to legislation reinstating the wage protections enshrined in the
Davis-Bacon Act. Two hundred representatives and 30 senators
have already signed on. These numbers are encouraging, but they
are not enough. Please join me by calling on your member of
Congress to support the "Fair Wages for Hurricane Victims Act."
The people of the Gulf Coast are counting on us.

Click here and urge Congress to reinstate fair wages for Gulf
Coast workers:
http://go.sojo.net/campaign/fair_wages?rk=Ddq6V651WXdUW