On Sep 27, 2005, at 6:40 AM, Leonard Matusik wrote:

"Is homosexuality, as we know it, more a matter of genetics or memnetics?"

Neither. Homosexuality is an idea invented by humans, and is quite recent in origins.

Who sleeps with whom, rubs what against what, and wears leather or neoprene is totally insignificant to every other species onplanet but ours. Who is the "top" penguin is irrelevant and, to the penguins, stupid.

The ancient Greeks — known for cheesecake and pederasty — did not distinguish. There was no word for homosexual in Greece. There wasn't even an idea. A man could go to a symposium, drink wine, bathe with other men, have sex with them, and then go home to his wife and have sex with her before retiring. Presumably exhausted. If not, he could romance the serving wench or her boy for a while as well.

The only law which could be said to be anti-gay in Greece was that a former prostitute could not hold public office — and this included male prostitutes.

Homosexuality was a word invented by Freud and, as such, did not even exist as a quantifiable concept until the 1900s.

There are no gay penguins, and I'm pretty goddamned sure there are no gay humans either. It's just a term used for convenience.

--
Warren Ockrassa, Publisher/Editor, nightwares Books
<http://books.nightwares.com/>