----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert J. Chassell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 25, 2005 3:58 PM
Subject: Re: Brave New Genetic Frontiers

>     > Off hand, I cannot think of a shorter sentence that includes all
those
>     > concepts.
>     >
>     > It would be great if someone else can.
>
> To which Dan Minette said
>
>     I think the question can be expressed.
>
>     Is the natural tendency for a population to disperse in gene space
>     through random mutations (in the absence of a natural selection
>     induced focus in gene space) sufficient to explain the existence
>     of blind cave fish.
>
> That is an interesting way to ask the question.  It certainly focuses
> attention on populations over time.  But why talk about a case which
> specifies the `absence of a natural selection induced focus in gene
> space'?

Because I think that's what is happening.  From what I've read in this
thread, the blindness is not the result of the eye structure totally
disappearing, but the result of a key component disappearing.  Thus, the
advantage in efficiency afforded by this small change should not be a key
factor in it's existance.  If it were, wouldn't the advantage of
eliminating the rest of they eye cause those parts to disappear too.

Rather, I think one can look at the genetic tendencies to blindness that
exists in humans now.  They are rare for good reason: until very recently
(compared to the time needed for genetic changes) blind people didn't get
to pass their genes along.  Blind lions, blind deer, etc. are at such a
disadvantage, we do not expect them to be able to pass their genes along.
But, in a cave, blind fish can pass their genes along.  With the
elimination of the pruning of the blind, blind cave fish developed.

> It is like talking about one of Newton's laws
>
>     "force is the product of mass and acceleration"
>
> while overtly leaving out the concept of mass.

Actually, it's like talking about the path of a rock wirled around on a
string after the string breaks while overtly leaving out centripital force.

> The answer to your question has to be:  to get blind fish without
> selection is improbable.

Why?  Why can't genetic drift explain the process?

Dan M.