Ronn!Blankenship wrote:
At 12:39 PM Sunday 11/13/2005, Robert J. Chassell wrote:

For example, do you know whether the first Secretary
of the Treasury of the United States was born in 1747, 1755, or 1757;
do you know about his birthdate controversy?

No, but I know I have the same problem (although the dates are roughly a century and a half later) with my father's father's birth date, in that I have original or copies of three official records (census, marriage certificate, WWI service papers) which each give a different year (same month and day) for his birth.

How many census records do you have for him? If you have, say, 3 different census records, and 2 of them agree with either the marriage certificate or the WWI service papers, the year for which more things agree is more likely.

If the WWI papers give an earlier year of birth, he may have been lying to get in.

(Though I'm sure you've thought of all this already....)

        Julia