On 12/11/05, Dan Minette <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]

I have been more amazed at the wild price swings at the pump with the
smaller swings at wholesale and then the rapid moderation in prices .

I had a couple people tell me that work for the larger companies in
Houston that pump prices were pulled back to smaller profit margins by
the majors in an effort to minimize calls for new taxes.  They were
making record profits anyway. The actual selling of retail gasoline is
not where the big money is.  I remember even reading in the 70's  it
was often a loss leader.

Of course, Cheney convincing the EU to release much of their strategic
reserve to the US was another factor in the price drop.  Some people
have said their is an effort going on to damp down price swings and
make them more gradual and give more stability to the markets.  We no
longer have Enron pushing for wild swings to make money on the markets
and California and Enron's collapse may have taught a few lessons.

Rising demand in China and India, indications that the leaders are
starting to recognize peak oil production is now, continued
environmental problems affecting refining and production, recognition
that Iraq and Saudi may have overproduced and damaged some fields,
influence of strategic oil releases, future production in West Africa
and  the former Soviet Republics.... oil pricing is like the stock
market in giving you a lot of factors to consider.

--
Gary Denton
http://www.apollocon.org  June 23-25, 2006