On 12/18/05, Robert J. Chassell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jurors should evaluate an article in several ways.  An encyclopedia
> entry, for example, requires one evaluation for accuracy and another
> for style.  Thus, an inaccurate article that claims the earth is flat
> might show great style.
>
> The evaluation should be on a scale of one through five, with five the
> best.  Moreover, since people pay attention to the words that frame an
> option, the scale should be:
>
>     5 -- excellent
>          much better than expected
>
>     4 -- good
>          better than expected
>
>     3 -- normal
>          expected
>
>     2 -- bad
>          worse than expected
>
>     1 -- terrible
>          much worse than expected
>
> A minimum number of jurors must judge before the results are
> published.  Otherwise, a few people will effect many.  As a beginning,
> I suggest a minimum of twelve.  However, as I said above, editors
> might want to look at infrequently judged items.
>
> Administrators must choose when (or whether) to ask editors to edit a
> modifiable posting.  As a beginning, I suggest a threshold in which a
> majority of posters say that accuracy or style is less than normal.
> (This is in addition to editing that ordinary people may do.  Editors
> are, to some extent, `insiders', which means they have duties as well
> rights.)
>
> Every one needs to see a profile of judgements.  In some situations,
> the profile will bimodal.  For example, I suspect that in 2003 in the
> United States, we would have seen a bimodal distribution of accuracy
> judgements about an article that claimed that in 2002 Saddam Hussein
> and the Iraqi government were giving chemical, biological, or nuclear
> weapons to Al Qaeda.  On the other hand, I expect that every accuracy
> judgement about a claim that the earth is flat would tell us that the
> article is at level 1, and is much less accurate than expected.
> (Style judgements might be different; the article would be wrong but
> might be well written.)
>
> At the same time, many entries will be judged the same way, so an
> average should be posted, too.
>

> Jurors might also tell us their confidence about their judgements.
>
> For example, regarding accuracy, many might be confident that Michael
> Faraday was not born in the 17th century since he worked in the 19th
> century, but be not so certain whether he was born in the latter 18th
> century (as he was) or early 19th.
>
> As a practical matter, I expect that jurors will be more confident in
> style judgements than accuracy judgements.
>
> A confidence scale could use five levels:
>
>     5 -- entirely certain
>
>     4 -- strongly certain, but some doubt
>
>     3 -- moderately certain
>
>     2 -- somewhat uncertain, but a little confidence
>
>     1 -- completely uncertain
>
> To show certainty, an accuracy or style profile would have to be three
> [...]

Some interesting ideas here, Rob.

Looks to me like you are trying to do several things here-
you want multidemensional judgments (2, if I understand you);
one for general quality (including comprehensiveness, formatting,
and prose quality), and the other for accuracy.

It would be neat if someone were to write a plugin for Wikipedia's
wiki software (MediaWiki) which displayed a little Cartesian 2-d graph,
where x could be general quality and y accuracy (or vice versa),
and all one had to do was mouse-click in the right location, and your vote
would be registered.

~Maru