Dave Land wrote:
On Dec 18, 2005, at 9:29 AM, Doug Pensinger wrote:

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 12:18:28 -0500, Gary Nunn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

2. Any toy sold in the US that makes noise of any kind, MUST have a volume or on/off switch.

Heh. My mom always bought my kids the most anoying toys. Things with whistles or electroninc drums. I always wondered if she was trying to get back at me for something...

I heard a subtle way of dealing with this on the radio yesterday. Mom took the most annoying toys given to her daughter by Aunty and put them on a high shelf, telling her daughter that they were her *most* special toys -- so special that she was only to play with them when she visited Aunty's house.

This could apply to most any toy made by LeapFrog, which, although they are purportedly educational, are excessively chirpy.

The ones we have at least have some form of volume control. (Phonics Radio and one other.)

My friend's father-in-law gives her daughter the most annoying battery-operated toys. This was at least bearable until her daughter found out that batteries could be changed. (This man drives a school bus for a living, and doesn't mind the kids making a racket as long as they stay in their seats, so he doesn't fully comprehend just how annoying these toys are for everyone else.)

        Julia