----- Original Message -----
From: "Julia Thompson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Killer Bs Discussion" <brin-l@mccmedia.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 1:47 PM
Subject: Re: The ReichliKlan Scandal Cycle

> The Fool wrote:
>> <<http://daoureport.salon.com/synopsis.aspx?synopsisId=a6da2e05-c808-4f7e-9ab2-3d2a01a82a15>>
> [snip]
>> 8. Reporters and media outlets obfuscate and equivocate, pretending
>> ask tough questions but essentially pushing the same narratives
>> they've
>> developed and perfected over the past five years, namely, some
>> variation of "Bush firm, Dems soft." A range of Bush-protecting
>> tactics
>> are put into play, one being to ask ridiculously misleading
>> questions
>> such as "Should Bush have the right to protect Americans or should
>> he
>> cave in to Democratic political pressure?" All the while, the right
>> assaults the "liberal" media for daring to tell anything resembling
>> the
>> truth.
>
> I read this just after reading Fred Clark's latest blog entry,
> http://slacktivist.typepad.com/slacktivist/2005/12/god_save_the_ki.html
> if you want to read the whole thing
>
> The meat of that post, to me, was this:
>
> <quote>
> The White House's claim, essentially, is this: The president may do
> whatever he sees fit in order to keep the country safe. For some,
> those last seven words justify and legitimize the unlimited
> powergrab of the first eight. But many of us cannot accept the
> beginning of that sentence -- "the president may do whatever he sees
> fit" -- regardless of what follows.
> <end quote>
>
> That is the heart of the disagreement, I think.

  And on FafBlog.....funny stuff:

  An interview with C Rice

  RICE: First of all, we don't send prisoners off to be tortured,
Fafnir. We just transport prisoners to countries where torture happens
to be legal and where they happen to end up getting tortured.

  FB: Well that explains everything then! It's all just a wacky
misunderstanding, like that episode a Three's Company where Jack sends
Janet off to Uzbekistan to get boiled alive by the secret police.

  RICE: I'd also like to point out that whenever we send a prisoner to
a country that routinely tortures prisoners, that country promises us
NOT to torture them.

  FB: And then they get tortured anyway!

  RICE: Yes, they do! It's very strange.

  FB: Over and over again, every time! That's gotta be so frustrating.

  RICE: Oh it is, it is.

  FB: So the first time you kidnap a prisoner an send him to Saudi
Arabia you're like "don't torture this guy" an they're all "we totally
won't" an then they go an torture him an you're all "ooh Saudi Arabia
I told you not to torture him!" an they're all "oh we're sorry, we
promise next time" an then you go "well you better" an you send em the
next guy an they torture him too an you go "oh man Saudi Arabia you
did it AGAIN!"

  RICE: The president believes in the value of patience, Fafnir. He's
not going to let a few dozen innocent torture victims come between him
and his favorite third-world dictators.

  FB: See after the first coupla hundred times that happened I woulda
registered a complaint with customer service.

  xponent

  BlogHumor Maru

  rob