Dan wrote:

Indeed, even if/when they rule against Bush on some of his interpretations of executive authority under the Constitution, the whole process is
inherently constitutional.  Checks and balances doesn't mean that one
branch acts with constraint…but that the other branches of government will check their actions when they overstep their bounds. So, a President that oversteps his bounds is not an anomaly, which should be grounds for impeachment. Rather, it is normal for presidents to have a very expansive view of executive power that is reigned in by congress and the courts.

Bush portrays himself as the Commander-In-Chief in wartime. Everything that I've seen is consistent with that actually being his view. That is a constitutional responsibility of Bush. He repeatedly alludes to this while defending his actions. I realize that you don’t think that his actions are consistent with the Constitution, but I’ve seen no evidence that the Bush
administration doesn't believe that its actions are consistent with the
constitution.  That is what I think is needed to establish a comment that
the Constitution is just a goddamn piece of paper as representing Bush's views of the constitution.

This last sounds so nice and reasonable that I was a bit taken aback when I read it. He's just doing his job, how reasonable sure, that's gotta be it.

The problem is the depth and breadth of Bush's actions. You have mentioned several examples of other presidents extra constitutional actions, some of which are relevant, some of which are not, but has any other single president compromised so many aspects of the Constitution?

Let's go over them again, starting with torture which, besides being against numerous state, local and federal laws is prohibited by the eighth amendment (cruel and unusual punishment). Torture is an assault on the very fabric of who we are. Anyone who understands and respects this country and the constitution should understand that. You say Nixon was a criminal because of a burglary, what do you call someone that proscribes torture?

Continue with the writ of Habeas Corpus, the right to be brought before a court or a judge; a right first enshrined in the Magna Carta nearly seven hundred years ago and included in Section 9 of the U.S. Constitution: "The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it." Have we been invaded? Has there been a rebellion? But there are people in a gulag in Cuba whose right to file a petition for a writ of habeas corpus has been suspended. There are prisoners that have been in solitary for years without being brought before a judge. Lincoln is criticized to this day for suspending HC (his suspension of the writ was ruled unconstitutional, btw) and in his case a third of the country had rebelled and there were _real_ enemy combatants within twenty miles of the capitol. HC has also been de facto suspended for U.S. citizens like Padilla, accused at first as being "enemy combatants".

Hand in hand with HC we have the egregious violation of the sixth amendment: "..the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense."

Where in the world does the constitution say we can set up a concentration camp on foreign soil and hold prisoners there indefinitely, torturing them and depriving them of their rights? We're not only violating our own laws and international law, but the laws of every civilized nation on the earth.

Moving on we have the fourth amendment: "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Both the wiretapping by the NSA and some provisions of the patriot act violate this amendment.

These aren't challenges to the constitution like the assisted suicide law you mentioned, these are act first and ask questions later violations of our sacred rights. And these aren't actions by a president to protect himself from prosecution like the Nixon case you presented, they are attempts to expand the power of the presidency and diminish the rights of the people.

Name me a president that has violated such a wide array of constitutional rights. The only one that even comes close is FDR and his confinement of Japanese Americans in concentration camps, the most egregious and reviled violation of constitutional principal of the last century. Lincoln suspended HC, but I don't remember hearing that he tortured anyone or spied on them while they were at the library. Truman tried to stop a strike, does that justify holding people in solitary confinement indefinitely?

Finally, lets discuss the "war". The "War on Terrorism". When does it end? For that matter, when did it start? Were we not combating terrorism before 911? Are we going to compromise peoples rights for as long as this so called war, which could conceivably go on forever, lasts? We're not at war! Worse than that our so called war on terrorism is actually empowering the terrorists.

Yes, 911 was a horrific act worthy of a terrible retribution. But lets remember that the attack could have been prevented simply by heightening airport security or by a more vigilant intelligence system. Is it really necessary to compromise so many of our hard won rights as a result of this act? We're accomodating the terrorists by doing so, not combatting them.

So while you may see a man that's just trying to do his job, I see a man that doesn't really know what his job is supposed to be and doesn't really care. The presidential oath of office is: I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

PRESERVE, PROTECT AND DEFEND THE CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES

Why do you think the oath of office requires the President to protect the constitution and not the people?

Because it’s the Constitution that protects the people.

--
Doug