On Apr 11, 2006, at 2:22 PM, Charlie Bell wrote:

On 11/04/2006, at 6:33 PM, Nick Arnett wrote:

He also seems to fail to recognize the difference between irrational and non-rational beliefs. And this statement, " Religious moderation is just a cherry-picking of scripture, ultimately," is ridiculous. It implies that fundamentalism is the only *complete* form of Christianity. Nonsense,
really.

So how do you decide which parts of scripture to follow and which not? The whole bible? Just the NT? Just Jesus' teachings, and ignore Paul's commentary?

Faith in a deity/deities/force/whatever is one thing. It's highly personal. But faith in a book is something else, and that's where the argument starts - if the book says one thing, but a follower disagrees and does something else, where's the value in the book?

One view -- a minority view in Christianity -- is that the Bible is a human product, not a divine one. The Bible records certain people's wrestling with who God might be and how they might relate to God. The value in such a book (which is definitely NOT to be worshiped, but can still be taken very seriously) is that it lets us know what our spiritual forbears thought and believed, which might inform our understanding of God and our relationship to God. It also contains some historically-factual events.

It has been said "The Bible is true, and some of it actually happened." Problems arise when our (modern, Western) ideas of the equality of "truth" and "factuality" are layered on top of writings that didn't originate in the same understanding of truth and factuality.

Unfortunately, that's all I have time for right now, but I do hold that there is value in the book, and it is not that it was handed down from deity.

Dave