> "Robert J. Chassell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip>
> In the relevant manner, how do domesticated animals
> differ from hunted
> animals?  (I know they differ; the question is how?)
>  Deborah Harrell, can you comment?
<snip>

Animals suitable to be domesticated must, in general,
have a native hierarchy, which humans can then utilize
to their own advantage.  In herbivores, this means a
socially bonded herd as opposed to a 'gathering of
convenience;' in carnivores, a relatively stable pack
or strong family structure is required.  Humans usurp
the alpha position of the herd leader(s) or
mother/father.  Territorial behavior is also helpful,
as migratory herds must be followed or lost - reindeer
are the only migrating quasi-domesticated mammals I
can think of; geese will cease migrating if sufficient
food and protection is available, but hummingbirds
depart no matter how much nectar is provided.

Desirable features in companion/working animals are
sociability, which includes friendliness, curiosity,
and adaptability.  At least some of these can be bred
for, as was shown by a Russian experiment with foxes;
I've quoted this one previously, but basically they
initially selected foxes least afraid of humans to
breed, then their friendliest offspring and so on for
~ 36 generations.  They wound up with foxes that
wagged their tails, yipped like cubs, and generally
demonstrated increasingly juvenile behavior from
generation to generation.  [<gasp> And we're now
on-topic with Himself's essay on neotany!]  (Oddly,
they also developed varigated coat coloring - think
Dalmations vs. wolves, or calico cats vs. leopards.)

For food animals, less intelligence and independence
are desirable from the human standpoint, so docility
was also selected for - domestic sheep vs. bighorn
sheep, domestic turkeys vs. wild.

Multipurpose animals, used for food or clothing and/or
transportation and/or guarding/warning, were allowed
to retain more independent behavior (goat vs. sheep).
Friendliness is still desirable no matter what,
however; even chickens have personalities and can
interact rather charmingly with "their" human, and
calves are quite inquisitive about what that
two-legged crittur is doing.  Heck, among fish,
family-building cichlids are a lot more fun to have in
your aquarium than tetras, because they can recognize
*you.*

Solitary animals, with minimal family bonding, are
much less able to accept human leadership - Tasmanian
devils and leopards come to mind.  This doesn't mean
such animals can't be trained or tamed somewhat: elk
can be raised on a ranch, but since their herd
structure is short-lived, they cannot be relied upon
to respect a human would-be-leader.

If considerable effort was made, animals like zebra,
cheetah and buffalo might be domesticated, but how is
a Cape buffalo superior to a domestic cow?  Well,
resistance to sleeping sickness comes to mind - ditto
for zebra and horse/donkey, but these herbivores are
so fiercely unsubmissive that no one has bothered to
try.  Cheetah are so subspecialized that there is
probably no advantage compared to dogs like salukis,
unless you just want that elegant look (not that
salukis and their near-relatives are less than
svelte).

In one sentence: domesticated animals were bred from
those with a strong social hierarchy or family
structure which humans could usurp, with an emphasis
on juvenile (and therefore dependent) as well as
territorial behaviors, in breeding programs, in
addition to the desired characteristics of milk/meat
production, strength, swiftness etc.

Debbi
Quasi-domesticated Herself Maru    ;-)