wrote:
> > > Ronn!Blankenship wrote:

<snippage throughout>
> > >... Now, ... it seems
> > > that the same pair of mockingbirds has built a
> > > nest in the bush at my
> > > mailbox, and in the spirit of protecting their
> > > nest, one of them
> > > attacks me every time I go to or near the
> mailbox...

> >I don't think staking out a cat would work, since
> >you'd likely end up with either dead baby birds, or
> >a cowed cat...

> I don't know how long mockingbirds live, so it may
> indeed not have
> been this pair... who used to
> attack Andy (and other cats) when he was just
> walking up or down the  street...
> ...Andy [looked like] a bobcat or at least
> half-bobcat because he was so big...

> >Them mockerbirds ain't a'scairt o' *nuthin'!*

> You are the first person so far who has recognized
> this [major] part  of the problem...

Cricket [RIP] had some memorable run-ins with the
mockingbirds in the camellia shrubs - he never did get
any of their babies.

> > ...your best bet is to take down the nest.

> And if (when I can find it) it turns out to be
> already in use?  Any
> suggestions from anyone on how to "transplant" it
> and have the
> parents accept the new location rather than
> abandoning the younguns?

I think that mockers are such fierce parents that they
would not abandon the nest, unlike their more timid
cousins -- Gosh, they might be the Terran ancestral
Gubru! -- OK, seriously, try the local wildlife dept
or state Ag Coop Ext; I had a remarkably pleasant
encounter with ours last week (about a banded pigeon -
turned out it was a racing homing pigeon; I had no
idea they'd cover hundreds of miles in a stakes race
(yes, for prize money)).  Me, I'm betting that if you
move the nest, they'll continue to care for their
babies -- and despise you, unless you bribe them with
food (raisins, nuts, breadcrusts, bits of cheese,
etc.).

> >Debbi
> >whose Bashir was highly annoyed when his stalk of
> six
> >turkeys was interrupted by his human's arrival...

> Were the toms big/old enough to have spurs?  If so,
> that could have gotten "interesting" . . .

These were big mature toms, not the little yearlings;
thye were more curious about the over-large,
under-tailed squirrel interrupting their stately
courtship displays than cross...but that will change
when chicks arrive.  I'm pretty sure that Bashir had a
run-in with a couple of nursery hens late last spring
- he came running like a streak of stormcloud, with
one hot on his tail.  As he'd quit stalking them then,
I was a little surprised to see him try again this
year; either he's forgotten, or now that he's almost
two, he's feeling sassy and (over-)confident.

Debbi
who was grateful that ravens alerted her to a fox's
presence yesterday evening, so she could scoop up the
cats and take them inside